Image Map

Thursday, October 27, 2011

October Admission Day 2 10-27-2011

written at 11:30 pm
We had a pretty relaxing day…lots of coloring, movies and playing Hi Ho Cherry Ho.  Around 5 pm we learned that the culture came back negative no Respiratory Infection.  Good News?!  I don’t know.  Since that means without a doubt all the fluid and pulling, and rapid breathing and tiredness are due to Katy’s heart failure. 
The plan is to continue with IV Lasix (diuretic) We are on strict fluid intake. (what goes in…must come out) As of right now the plan in to continue on this course of treatment and see if we can get the fluid off without the use of Milrinone
Papa, Nana Tracy and Patrick came up to visit and brought lots of goodies for Miss Kate.
Patrick and Daddy headed home… saying goodbye was hard. 
Thank you again for all your prayers and kind words and to Deb who has started the $1 Campaign on our family’s behalf.  You can read more about that here: $1 One Single Dollar
Once Upon A Time…
That’s how a fairy tale starts. Once upon a time a girl met a boy and fell in love, once upon a time a young man came to the big city with a dream, once upon a time…and the story ends happily ever after. Today isn’t happily ever after. It’s the beginning, yet again, of Once Upon A Time.
Katy was admitted today to Children's Hospital. She is in Congestive Heart Failure and needs a heart transplant. Katy is 4 years old.
If you haven’t had a chance to read Katy’s mom’s blog post today, read it here: http://murphy216.blogspot.com/2011/10/katy-girl-update.html
http://murphy216.blogspot.com/2011/10/october-2011-admission-day-1-10-26-2011.html
Excerpt: Katy’s chest x-ray showed that she has some fluid in her lungs i.e. she is in Congestive Heart Failure. Basically this was completely unexpected…but at the same time completely expected.
I saw Aimee last week. Katy’s mom. And she’s amazing. Brave. Strong. Fragile. Fighting. Human.
On facebook, on the news, we read stories that touch us, we care. They stay with us, then life moves along. With Amiee the story is everyday. Its not just about Katy’s heart, but also a story about Mike, Patrick, their family dynamic and what a toll any illness takes on a family. I thought I knew some of what they were going through then, mid conversation, Aimee shocked me.
“I wish I could buy a cup of coffee”
I started then looked left and right to gesture for the waitress. “I’m sure they still have coffee” I said, still looking around. Amiee made a noise and I looked at her. She was staring at the table... I saw a huge tear. “I don’t mean now” she whispered. “I mean, I wish I could, you know, BUY a cup of coffee.”
And I still didn’t get it.
Finally Amiee looked me in the face.
And embarrassed yet honest she told me their situation. Ending with “And I don’t know what I can get for it, but if I can get up the courage to sell it, we are going to.” Twisting her wedding ring on her finger.
“Deb” she said “We are barely paying the bills. Between rent, utilities, parking, gas, car repairs, I don’t think we can do it this month. Basically, we’ve been using the fund to get Katy to the hospital, for the parking, for gas, for one of our meals there. She needs new pajamas with snaps for the IV cords, Patrick is growing. I can’t work because I need to be with her, Mike is taking care of the house, of Patrick. He can’t work consistently. We are waitlisted for housing aid and we are just about at the end of everything. And now Katy is going in. And I don’t know how we are going to make it.”
And I had nothing to say to her. I had no words to comfort her, no ideas. Because honestly, I can't imagine for a minute what she is going through.
In my professional life I’ve planned huge events. In my personal life, I’ve rallied. I’ve pep talked. I have motivation galore. “Write to Ellen!” “Start a campaign” but I am stumped. Because frankly it's too big for me. I dont have a job to give, I dont have the means to provide child care, the resources to drive a meal into Boston. I have 3 small children of my own and a husband constantly working.
BUT! I have a dollar.
And a stamp.
And an idea.
I thought “If I could start a facebook viral request.... If everyone everywhere could send just a $1. If everyone only knew that this tiny four year old is in Congestive Heart Failure and her parents have hit bottom, wouldn’t they help?”
Would it work?
Could it work?
$1?
From every friend of every friend?
I’m not asking anyone to donate more. I'm not asking anyone to give give give. But yes, I'm flat out asking for money. Because it's the only thing I know they can use, and it's the only thing today that I can ask for that I think could be given. And its the only thing that Amiee doesn't have the courage to do on her own. If she can face Katy's doctors, I can face all of you.
$1.
If you can, if you would,please post to your facebook or share where possible my request.
Please send one single dollar to:
Be A Rock For Katy
The Savings Bank
357 Main Street
Wakefield, MA 01880
Thank you.
(and if you can't, your prayers are far more valuable. Please don't let this request turn you away from this support page)
INSTRUCTIONS BY PAYPAL | Existing Account Holders
You will need a Paypal account
Go to: www.Paypal.com
Log In with your username & password
Select tab: Send Money
Into the text field To(Email or Mobile Phone), type in: bearock4katy@gmail.com
Into the text field Amount type in: the dollar amount of your gift.
Ignore the drop down text field: USD - U.S. Dollars.
Underneath the text boxes Amount and USD - U.S. Dollars you will see two tabs, Purchase and Personal. Select: Personal
You will see the words: This money is being sent as a: with (5) choices.
Select: GIFT
Then hit: Continue
You will be directed to a Review your payment and send page.
BUT WAIT!!! (optional)
BEFORE you hit "Send Money" scroll down to the section that says: Email to recipient
In the Subject Line, please overwrite the prefilled You've got Money text and enter the words: Katy Rocks
In the Message field, please write in any message you'd like the family to know and Your First and Last name (Email optional)

2 comments:

stitchhappy said...

My heart and thoughts are with you this day. I hope that it will help you to know that we are all standing with you and your family as you go through this ordeal. Prayers are being offered up on behalf of Katy and for all the needs that come from having a very sick little girl. I wish I had more to give but collectively I believe we can help ease at least one of your burdens. Please, know that you are not alone and that God has you all in his hands. Love, Kathy Heseltine and family

Jessica Buffa said...

I wish I could do more, but I will keep you all in my prayers. God Bless you all!
:O)
Jessica Shelton and Family